- May 20, 2014
- Posted by: Phil M Jones
- Category: Sales Skills
We have all had great ideas and I often hear stories from people talking about things that they could have done, but for one reason or another never got round to making happen. In this short article I want to share with you 7 simple pointers to help you step up to the plate and start making your ideas a reality.
1. Make it work on paper – The first action should always be to sit down and make your plan a reality on paper. Run the numbers and check that your great idea makes commercial sense. Understand what the numbers look like and be confident you can achieve the number of customers you require.
2. Tell the world – Once you are set on your idea then you should start telling as many people as possible. Telling people not only promotes your new idea, but also makes you accountable. The more people you tell, the more likely you are to make it happen.
3. Sell it first – Instead of spending an age designing and perfecting your plans the first step should always be to acquire some customers. Only once you have a customer are you really in business.
4. Perfection is overrated – Just getting started is the hardest part so instead of perfecting your idea before taking it to market, get it to a point where it is fit for purpose and then continue to develop it in real time.
5. Plan and review – Plan in regular check points to monitor progress and design your next actions.
6. Accept failure – On the road to every great success are countless failures. Accept that to succeed you will make many mistakes. What is important is that you continue to learn from them.
7. Keep moving forward – Momentum is an essential quality in growing any business. Set your goal at the beginning, make it clear, and then keep striving towards it.
That’s my simple summary of taking your idea and making it a reality. Please remember that nothing happens unless you make it happen.